Hello! What are benefits of red wine? A very intriguing question many people have, so let’s explore it a little bit, shall we? Actually, red wine can have many benefits if consumed in moderation.
Now, you may be wondering how do you quantify moderation? Many studies have suggested that men shouldn’t drink more than 250 ml (approximately 1 large glass) and women 175 ml (approximately 1 medium glass) of red wine per day to reap the benefits.
The amount is slightly lower for women because they have a lower body water content. This causes their bodies to absorb alcohol more rapidly. The information I’ll be sharing today is from many years of research conducted by the following organizations:
Harvard Medical School, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Journal of Women’s Health, Loyola University Medical Center, Washington University School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Kaiser Permanente, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Harvard Men’s Health Watch, Researchers in Spain.
Below are some of the benefits associated with moderate consumption of red wine. Also, any time I use the word wine in this blog, I’m specifically referring to red wine.
1. Cancer – Consumption of red wine may lower the risk of lung cancer. This is because of antioxidant components found in wine. It may also reduce the risk of prostate cancer in men and breast cancer in women.
2. Heart Disease – Moderate wine drinkers have been found to have higher blood levels of omega 3 fatty acids. These acids help prevent against coronary heart disease.
3. Stroke – Red wine may protect the brain from stroke and damage to nerve cells.
4. Vision – Researchers have found that the compound resveratrol found in red wine helps protect your vision.
5. Dementia – Resveratrol has also been found to promote a good blood supply to the brain resulting in a lower risk of dementia.
6. Mortality – Moderate consumption of wine has been linked to anti-aging and a longer lifespan. It’s almost like finding a red fountain of youth to some degree lol.
7. Depression – Studies have shown that men and women who drank 2-7 glasses of wine per week had a lower risk of suffering depression.
Importance of Moderation
Although moderate wine consumption can have several health benefits, drinking too much wine can definitely have adverse consequences.
Below are some of the negative effects of consuming wine to excess.
- Liver malfunction
- Heart Disease or Heart Attack
- Chronic Diseases
Summary – The next time you want to enjoy a nice glass of vino, you can take pleasure in knowing that you’re helping your body when done in moderation. I can’t stress enough the importance of moderation and not overdoing it. It’s kind of like the old saying “too much of anything can be bad for you.”
Also, if you like red grapes you can get some of the same health benefits I’ve mentioned before. This is because the compound resveratrol is found in grapes. If you have any comments or questions please let me know in the comments box and I’ll gladly get back to you. Thank you for your time and Cheers!
For terrific current fitness tips join our newsletter below!